Reddit, the most active social media network sold up on ‘I wanna be a millionaire.’ Four years back they made a post which became viral, and since then it’s no looking back for them. Each month they have a winner and everyone gives them $1.
Their site says “If 1 million people gave a dollar to someone, they could be a millionaire. We are an embodiment of this showerthought.”
What are the rules of the game?
Around the beginning of each month, moderators start a contest thread which are then voted up or down by participating members. After 24 hours moderators randomly choose a winner from everyone who leaves a comment. Everyone who participated in the contest encouraged to donate $1 to the winner paying through Paypal, Google Pay or Bitcoin.
There are two guidelines to follow: anyone interested to play has 24 hours to leave a comment on the thread and each person allowed only one entry.
To be a Millionaire you don’t have to buy a lottery now! Join Reddit. In February last year Reddit ranked 3rd most visited website in U.S and 6th in the world, according to Alexa Internet.
Why no Millionaire till now?
With the hope of “I wanna be a millionaire” many people are rushing to be a Redditor, but the reality is far from what promised. There have been 40 winners since its start, but still no millionaire made. Not even someone close to being one. The most recent contest drew 5,044 comments and the winner received over $2,000. The biggest winner got over $11,000 in the second instalment of the contest four years ago.
There could be several reasons for less contribution to the winner. Many a times people don’t stay till the contest closes and winner declared, some never pay their dollar. But some generous Redditors get so moved by reading post from the winner on how they plan to use the money that they pay more than their share. For instance a post by winner no. 37 was that “75% of the money is going towards my student loan debt the other 25% donated to the American Cancer Society and to Feeding America.”
The hope to be a Millionaire some day? You never know unless you try. Head over to Reddit.com and enter the contest yourself. “I wanna be a millionare.” resonates with me. How about you?